Tuesday, May 31, 2016

homemade hamburger helper


Growing up, my mother always made this fun one-dish meal that we all loved.  It never had a true name, and she never used a recipe.  She just kind of dumped everything in a skillet and let it cook.  When we finally asked her what she called it, she thought for a moment and then said, "I guess it's homemade hamburger helper."

It's actually nothing like the boxed Hamburger Helper...it's way better!

This meal also reminds me of the movie musical State Fair...have you seen it?  There's a great scene where the mother is making her famous mincemeat.  She adds a bit of alcohol (whiskey?  I can't remember)...and then another family member comes in and adds a bit more...and then another person comes in and adds a bit more...and on and on!  It was no surprise why her mincemeat won the blue ribbon at the fair!

My mom would always put a little Worcestershire sauce into this meal...and then my dad would go into the kitchen and sneak in a bit more...and then my sister...and then me.  And, my goodness, I would shake that bottle of Worcestershire sauce as hard as I could - I probably added a good half cup!  That was the secret to the absolute deliciousness of this meal.  The more Worcestershire sauce, the better!

Seriously, it's good.  And it takes under half an hour.  And only one pan. 

That's what I call a blue ribbon recipe!



Homemade Hamburger Helper
  • 1 lb. hamburger
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 green pepper, chopped
  • 1 T. Worcestershire sauce (and more to taste!)
  • 1 t. salt
  • 1 t. basil
  • 1/2 t. garlic powder
  • 1/4 t. cayenne pepper
  • 14 oz. diced tomatoes
  • 2-4 cups tomato juice
  • 1 cup macaroni, uncooked


Brown hamburger, chopped onion, and chopped green pepper.   While browning the hamburger meat mixture, add Worcestershire sauce and seasonings.  Continue cooking the meat mixture until hamburger meat is thoroughly cooked.  Add diced tomatoes and about 2 cups tomato juice.  Stir.  Add uncooked macaroni, cover.  Cook until macaroni is done, adding more tomato juice to bring mixture to desired consistency.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Kristin!My mom made something similar, though hers had chili powder... Currently making your version for lunch. 😃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chili powder sounds delicious! I think my child would claim it was "too hot" if I tried that. Maybe in a few years?

      Delete