Sunday, July 16, 2017

wyoming cowboy cookies


There are a lot of cowboy cookie recipes out there, and I had never tried any of them.  Until this one, of course.  We wanted cookies, and I had a lot of ingredients in my pantry just waiting to be used up - oatmeal, coconut, pecans, etc.  This recipe sounded just right for the job, so I whipped up a batch.

Oh, I'm so glad I did!

These are deliciously chewy and moist with just the right amount of everything in them.  I made the dough and then divided it in half before adding the chocolate chips.  I added white chocolate to half the batch and special dark chocolate to the other half.  I honestly can't decide which is better.


Wyoming Cowboy Cookies
Adapted from Taste of Home's Best-Loved Cookies and Candies
  • 1 cup flaked coconut
  • 3/4 cup chopped pecans
  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 1/2 t. vanilla extract
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 t. baking soda
  • 1/2 t. salt
  • 2 cups old-fashioned oats
  • 1 cup white chocolate chips
  • 1 cup special dark chocolate chips

Place coconut and pecans on a baking pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for 6 to 8 minutes or until toasted, stirring every 2 minutes.  Set aside to cool.  In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy.  Add eggs and vanilla; beat well.  Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt.  Add to creamed mixture; beat well.  Stir in the oats, toasted coconut, and pecans.  Divide dough in half.  In one half, add the white chocolate chips.  In the other half, add the dark chocolate chips.  Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto greased baking sheets.  Bake at 350 degrees for about 12 minutes or until browned.  Remove to wire racks to cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment